The International English Course (IEC) is a preparatory English course designed for newly admitted UniMAP international students who do not possess the required English proficiency of at least IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL 525. The students must complete and successfully pass the course for them to proceed to their respective degree programmes.
The overall aim of this course is:
To enable newly admitted UniMAP international students to acquire sufficient English reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills that will help them to successfully fulfil the requirements of their degree programs and effectively and confidently participate in undergraduate or postgraduate lectures, presentations, seminars, and other learning activities that use the English language as the medium of instruction.
The objectives of the course are:
- to enhance students’ general language proficiency
- to help students acquire effectual study habits and learning strategies that will enable them to pursue their chosen fields
- to equip students with the necessary “key” languages skills that will enable them to study independently in the English medium
- to expose students to “natural” English language
- to provide students with basic business and engineering terminology